Sunday 17 April 2016

Evaluation Question Five.


My cover page is the first thing that any potential buyer will see when looking at my magazine, therefore its purpose is to grasp anyone's attention who happens to look at it and then encourage them to buy it. My title is presented in a large font at the top of my magazine, I varied the colour of the font to make it more noticeable however I refrained from using any harsh colours to ensure it remained easy on the eye. I took inspiration from Fader Magazine's title by using a box around the start of the title, I varied the style by putting two letters into the box rather than the one that Fader do. My title is a three syllable word so I chose to put the first syllable of the word into the box and put the rest outside it in a different coloured font. I decided to put the issue number and the release date of my magazine just beneath the title in a much smaller red font, this information will not be seen from a distance however the audience will see this when getting closer to the magazine. The issue number and month of release are not a selling point for my magazine they are merely information to the reader so they do not need to be noticeable from a distance, they are not there to encourage an audience member to buy the magazine like the title of the magazine. I chose to have the background of my magazine in black with the opacity slightly turned down as it gives the magazine it's own individuality and works much better with the cover photo. The cover photo itself features large text covering the bottom of the photo's that I collaborated, I toyed with the opacity of one photo and left the other at 100%. I felt that this made the photo have more to it rather than choosing between the two of them, I also think that the audience member must engage eye contact with the artist on the cover so it was essential to have a photo where the artist's eyes were visible. I then went on to list the featured artists in the magazine to inform the audience of what to expect if they buy the magazine, I decided to use the same font for all but one artist on the cover page. I settled with an alternate font for my own artist 'Welfare G' as he is the featured artist for the magazine. I believe the title of my magazine and the collaboration of the two photo's are the two main selling points for my magazine as they are what stand out to the audience members and they both have their own special feature which gives the magazine individuality as a whole. My magazine would attract people of the 'Get Paid Crew' and 'The DIYers' as they have similar interests to hip-hop artists and I think the music that these artists make will be inspirational to the people of these two groups, it will help them reach their goals because most hip-hop artists write their lyrics about real things that happen around us.





The contents page must clearly show what the magazine has to offer, I chose to use very little colour on this page and have any font that is coloured to be red. I used a quotation from my artist forming from the smoke that he is breathing out, I decided to do this because I felt it added to the contents page and fitted well with the background photo. I formatted the contents of the magazine into sixteen subtitles which followed a 4x4 arrangement which makes it easy on the eye and readable. I added a section at the bottom of my contents page which gives the reader the opportunity to find the magazine on social media and get into contact if necessary, I also branded the magazine along the bottom of my page which worked parallel to the page number. I think this page is easy for readers to understand what the magazine has to offer, the contents of the magazine is simple yet to the point. 




The double page spread must make the audience member want to read it and want to know what the artist has said in the interview. I chose to incorporate the cover of my artists album into the double page spread, I think it attracts the audience because the readers can see the cover and will recognise it when they see it on shop shelves. I introduced the artist above the photo of him to give the audience some background information on him, I felt that this allowed the reader to go on and read the interview knowing what to expect. I decided to give my artist his own individuality by branding him with a specific font that would be recognisable to any audience member who would see it in other places to this magazine, it would make readers associate this font with him. This page is also branded the same as the contents.